Asha Bhosle is no ordinary octogenarian. With over 12,000 recordings to her name, she is the world’s most quintessential female singer. In early August, performing for the very first time in Berlin, Germany, as part of the annual Wassermusik festival, she absolutely commands the stage with the same wit and dynamism that has made her the reigning queen of playback singing for the past 50-odd years. During her set, she shares anecdotes about the productions of her greatest hits, which she then sings, proudly proclaiming in between the songs that she is going to be 83 in September. She also plays drums with her bare hands.
The veteran Indian singer Asha Bhosle a.k.a. Ashaji is celebrating her 82nd birthday today. The iconic singer was born on September 8, 1933. Her magical voice has won millions of hearts across the world. She is the best playback singer of Hindi cinema. It has been over 60 years that she has been singing.
Ashaji began her musical career in 1943. She has not just sung for Indian films but even recorded for albums and have performed for several concerts. Apart from singing in the national language, Ashaji has also sung in various other Indian and even foreign languages. The sensational Indian singer Asha Bhosle was officially acknowledged by the Guinness Book of World Records in the year 2011 for been the most recorded artist in the history of music.
1. Raat Akeli Hai – 1967:- Raat Akeli Hai was the very popular song from the film ‘Jewel Thief’ released in 1967. The moment we hear about this song, the first thing that comes to our mind is the unusual beat. This song was sung by Ashaji and picturised on Dev Anand and Tanuja.
2. Parde Mein Rehne Do – 1968:- The 1968 released movie ‘Shikar’ featured Dharmendra, Asha Parekh and Sanjeev Kumar in lead roles. There was a song in the film Parde Mein Rehne Do sung by Asha Bhosle, that became huge hit. For this Arabic tuned song Asha Bhosle won Filmfare award for best Female Playback singer.
3. Aao Huzoor Tumko Sitaaron Mein – 1968:- Manmohan Desai directorial movie ‘Kismat’ released in 1968 had three popular songs out of which Aao Huzoor Tumko Sitaaron Mein was recorded by Asha Bhosle. This wonderful song was composed by the very famous O.P. Nayyar.
4. Dum Maro Dum – 1971:- We have heard the remix version of Dum Maro Dum in which Deepika Padukone was featured. But the original song from the film ‘Hare Rama Hare Krishna’ was sung by Asha Bhosle. The 1971 hit song was picturised on Zeenat Aman.
5. Do Lafzon Ki Hai Dil Ki Kahaani – 1979:- Do you remember this amazing song featuring Amitabh Bachchan and Zeenat Aman? Do Lafzon Ki Hai Dil Ki Kahaani was a duet song sung by Sharad Kumar and Asha Bhosle. This song was from the film ‘The Great Gambler’ that was shot on a moving Gondola in Venice’s Grand Canal.
6. In Ankhon Ki Masti – 1981:- The beautiful song In Ankhon Ki Masti penned by Shahryar was sung by Asha Bhosle. This was from the film ‘Umrao Jaan’ released in 1981. Ashaji won National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer.
7. Radha Kaise Na Jale – 2001:- Coming out of the 70s and 80s song, in 2001 Ashaji sung A. R. Rahman composed song Radha Kaise Na Jale along with Udit Narayan and Vaishali Samant. Aamir Khan and Gracy Singh were featured in this amazing song from the film ‘Lagaan’.
These were some of the best songs from Ashaji’s music career. We wish the legendary singer a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!